The Organic Truth


Nowadays everyone is trying to find the special diet in which they will be able to live as healthy as possible for an affordable price. Many people have gone into no carb diets, high protein diets, vegan, and much more. One thing people tend to claim is that they only eat organic foods because it is much healthier for you. Many only shop at trendy health food stores such as Whole Foods because of the organic connotation. This article will examine the ins and outs of organic foods and explain just what organic is and what you need to know about it.

What is it?

Organic foods are those that are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. Organic meats are those that come from animals that are not feed growth hormones or antibiotics. It is important to know what you are buying when you purchase an “organic” product. If the product is labeled “Organic” the USDA only requires the product to be made with 95% organic ingredients. If the product is labeled “100% Organic” then it’s safe to assure you are getting a completely organic product. Some products are labeled “Made with Organic Ingredients,” but they are only required to have 70% with a restriction on non-GMOs in the other 30%. This is crucial information for the consumer to know because many purchase “Organic” foods thinking that they are 100% Organic.

Benefits of Organic Foods

There are many benefits for eating organic foods over conventional foods. For instance, organic foods are typically fresher because they are preservative free and usually produced where sold. They are pesticide free and GMO free. Organic foods are better for the environment and because their farms have a lower negative impact on the ecosystem. Some say the taste is better but I believe this to be a psychological thing because when blindfolded, many are unable to tell the difference. Unfortunately, organic foods have not been shown to be better for you nutrient wise.

Conclusion

Unfortunately, there is very limited research on the health benefits of eating organically over conventionally. It is safe to say that organic food is safer for your health to prevent illness, but to say it is better for you nutritionally would be inaccurate. In my opinion, organic food is not worth the hassle. Unless you are prone to illness, you have no genuine reason to only purchase organic products, when they are only 95% organic. The increase in price is significant enough to do without. If you want to be healthier, just eat fruits and vegetables. Don’t get caught up in the trends and be consistent with your diet. Avoid highly processed foods and you will be on the road to optimal wellness. 



0 comments

Recent Posts

See All